Friday, March 13, 2009

Comfortable Underwear: The Evolution of a Logo

There is an old graphic designer's saying, which I've just made up: Logos are like underwear on a long bus ride—you want a good fit. I'm not sure exactly how many versions I've come up with for Vintage 66 Graphics, since I started almost a year ago, and while many never even made it beyond the sketchbook, there are three that made it to the final stage. So without further adieu, I present the V-66 logo Collection in chronological order.

This was the first finished version, which I have dubbed the Googie logo. Its name comes from the architecture & design period of the same name. It has very bowling alley or motel look to it, and certainly reflects parts of my style, but not all the elements, and its really too clean & crisp to properly represent my work .



I call this second version my Highway Logo, because it has more of an Atomic Era highway feel to it (think Route 66, Super 99, or Pacific Coast Highway). Not only did I create a new logo, but I went with a new color scheme as well, which I've come to realize is just too bland, and not really me. Don't get me wrong, I really like the logo, but no cigar.



For the current version, I returned to my old color scheme, and went with a real cartoony font, and the result much better represents the cartoony, neo-retro, mid-century modern, skully, tattooed pinup, dark and twisty jack-in-the-box, farting buffalo, rabid trailer tramp feel that my style encompasses.



Well, kids, I reckon that's about it for this post, so thanks for stopping by.

-Cheers!


2 comments:

Guayapizco said...

nice and slick!

Robert said...

Thank you, and I apologize for the late reply on this. I had my comments notifications set up kind of wonky, but it is fixed now.