Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Today is the late Dr. Seuss' birthday, he would have been 108. It feels like I should have so much to say about an artist that I hold in such high esteem, but honestly, is there anything that hasn't already been said about the good doctor and his contribution to the art and literary worlds? Is there any praise that hasn't already been heaped on him many times over? I can't think of a thing, and so I will simply let his own artwork speak, and I think nothing would be more apropos than a selection of images from his 1959 book, The Birthday Bird (from Random House Books). Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss, or Mr. Geisel if you prefer.

The legendary Birthday Bird of Katroo, by Dr. Seuss.

The Birthday Bird enjoying the slow moving birthday Smorgasbord.

The Birthday Bird, the birthday boy, and a couple of one-horned goat-like things.


No comments: